Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Chandler Adams, Reporter

During the month of October,  the breast cancer awareness movement was in full force at Central Private.   The Student Council organized a day when students were allowed to wear a pink shirt and pink socks by paying $1. This took place on October 9th, and all the money collected, over $200,  was donated to the Suzan G. Komen Foundation.  Also, on October 9th, the home volleyball game against False River Academy was a “pink out” game. Students and parents attending were encouraged to wear pink in support of breast cancer awareness. In fact, both teams wore pink jerseys. The RedHawk volleyball players asked Sidney Laney, a central private cheerleader who lost her mom to breast cancer, to make signs to hang in the gym. With other cheerleaders’ help, it was made possible. All money made from the game was also donated to the Suzan G. Komen Foundation. Sidney Laney made a sign for people to write the names of those they have lost to  breast cancer. 

The Varnado family donated pink hair strips  to help the breast cancer awareness effort.  Girls in grades 6-12 were able purchase the hair strips to wear in their hair from October 15th through November 4th. The strips cost $10, and these proceeds were also donated to the Suzan G. Komen Foundation.

Other events these month included cheerleaders using pink pom poms and wearing pink hair ribbons at all football games  and  football players  wearing pink socks on the field. Everyone at Central Private has truly shown their support this past month and we are so grateful for our survivors.

According to the Suzan G. Komen Foundation website, their mission is to “ Save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our community and investing in breakthrough research to cure and prevent breast cancer.” Their website also states that approximately 3.8 million people have been diagnosed with this disease. Remember, men can also contract breast cancer and early detection improves treatment outcomes!

We would like to recognize members of our Central Private family who have battled and are battling this dreadful disease. We love you Mrs. Tina and Ms. Droy.