Things You Didn’t Know About Thanksgiving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Things You Didn’t Know About Thanksgiving

Amber Crowe, Reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The first Thanksgiving took place in November, 1621, when the pilgrim settlers invited their Indian allies, the Wampanoag tribe, to enjoy the product of their corn harvest. The Indians brought food of their own, and the celebration ended up lasting three days. Instead of turkey being the main dish, they ate things like seal, lobster, swan, and venison.

If you were to visit Plymouth, Massachusetts, you would see that Plymouth Plantation looks very similar to how it looked back in the 17th century. It’s possible to get tickets to a Thanksgiving dinner that keeps to tradition and serves food that would have been served at the first Thanksgiving feast, like corn pudding or fish fricassee. Stories of what it was like in the colonial periods are told and old songs are sung.

Abraham Lincoln was the president who declared Thanksgiving an official, national holiday but Sarah Josepha Hale is responsible for his decision. She wrote letter after letter to him trying to convince him to make the decision and he finally listened. Her reasoning behind her persistence was that she believed that if Thanksgiving was officially recognized as a national holiday, it would help to unify the northern and southern states. Alongside this, Sarah Josepha Hale wrote “Mary Had A Little Lamb” and founded the American Ladies Magazine.

Turkey is known for being the main dish of every family’s Thanksgiving Day celebratory dinner. Because of its popularity and the fact that millions of families celebrate Thanksgiving every year, that adds up to about 46 million turkeys being cooked and consumed each year. However, some people don’t participate in this tradition. While 88% of Americans are eating turkey this Thanksgiving, the other 12% of the population are either vegan, vegetarian or just choose not to eat turkey.  But turkey isn’t at the top of the list.  As of several years ago, Americans consumed 50 million pumpkin pies!!!

Canada also celebrates Thanksgiving, but not for the reasons we do. We celebrate the great holiday to pay homage to the feast the pilgrims and the Indians took part in. The Canadians celebrate a feast the English explorer Martin Frobisher and his crew ate after they successfully sailed to the Canadian territory in 1578. It falls on a different date in Canada, too. We know Thanksgiving to take place on November 28, but Canada’s Thanksgiving takes place on the second Monday of October.

For plumbers, Black Friday is the busiest day of the year. According to Roto-Rooter, kitchen drains, disposals, toilets require more attention the day after Thanksgiving than they do any other day of the year. So remind the people in the kitchen to save themselves from some expensive plumbing bills by being mindful of what they put down the drain.