Second Annual Back the Blue Event

Lauren Dale, Editor

On January 20, the Central Private Student Council hosted the Second Annual Back the Blue Volleyball Tournament. This year, the event was held to honor our fallen officer, Trooper First Class George Baker. Trooper Baker’s wife, Heather, and daughter, Harper, attended the event. A heart-warming tribute to Trooper Baker was given by  Trooper First Class Taylor Scrantz.  Trooper Baker, a Marine Corps veteran, was killed in the line of duty on May 20th, 2020, when he was struck by a Hammond patrol car while removing stop sticks from the roadway during a vehicle pursuit.  He had been a trooper with Louisiana State Police for three years and previously served with the Greensburg Police Department and St. Helena Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Student Council President, Lauren Dale, presented Trooper Baker’s family with a token of the school’s appreciation, and thanked them for attending. As the night went on, fun was had by all. Staff members, students, and police officers all competed against each other. At the end of the night, first and second place ribbons were awarded. Police Team 2 was the first place winner, and student team, Death Volley, came in  second.

The Student Council’s goal of  $1500 to go toward the purchase of Angel Armor for local law enforcement was surpassed. Thanks to everyone who supported this event and made our goal a reality.